Feeling a bit adventurous? This colourful recipe is bound to impress, whether you’re cooking for family or guests. The best thing about it is that it’s relatively easy and quick to make, but is high impact.
You can choose from a selection of peppers, whichever are your favourites. We used bell peppers as they’re one of the sturdiest peppers around which comes in handy when you’re filling them. To experiment we also went with one green and two orange peppers. The green for a sharper and zestier taste and the sweeter orange pepper to compliment- red would work just as well.
I thought a fresh and slightly earthy salad would sit well with the peppers because you don’t want something too sweet as the roasted peppers provide enough on that front. So I went for one of my personal favourites at the moment, a Sicilian-inspired broad bean salad.
Just a quick note: I would advise making a start on the salad whilst other things for the peppers are cooking. Read below for more info!
Roasted Stuffed Peppers
2 or 3 bell peppers, any colour
1 and ½ courgettes
1and 1/2 cups of basmati rice (cous cous also works well)
1/4 of a pepper
1 celery stick
1/3- ½ pack of veggie feta
Grated veggie cheddar or mozzarella
Spices for stuffing
A large handful of fresh coriander
1 chilli (optional)
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Slice top of peppers off, either totally, or about ¼ down leaving the stalk to put back on top for presentation purposes. Recommended if entertaining.
- Cover peppers in oil olive and season, put in oven for 30-40 mins.
- Now to prepare the stuffing.
- Wash rice 3 times and bring to the boil with 1tsp butter.
- Start dicing celery stick, tomato and 1 courgette.
- Once rice has been boiled and left to sit for 10-15 mins, heat around 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli, paprika, turmeric and seasoning for 1 min, then add the diced celery. Fry for 3 mins.
- Add the cumin seeds, then courgette. Keep stirring over a medium-high heat.
- Add the tomato and, shortly after, the rice. Mix rice in slowly, not all at once. The, stir in around 1 tbsp of tomato puree and a handful of freshly chopped coriander.
- Add some diced feta into the rice stuffing shortly before putting in the peppers, to melt it slightly.
- Once the peppers are done, leave them to cool slightly on the side. Take a spoon and get stuffing!
- Top with dices of feta and a generous sprinkling of cheddar/mozzarella.
- Put back in oven for 10-15 mins.
Broad Bean Salad
1 400g can of broad beans or frozen equivalent
1 pack of green beans
3 tbsp of green olives
Basil (fresh if possible)
½ pack of veggie hard goats cheese or feta if preferred
2 tbsp olive oil
- Half courgette and slice into thin strips, starting from one side and working your way to the other. Half again if preferred.
- Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice and pop into the oven to roast alongside the peppers for 20 mins. Grill separately if desired.
- Wash and trim green beans, then boil.
- Wash broad beans.
- Once courgettes are roasted/grilled to your liking, remove from oven/grill and leave to cool.
- Add broad and green beans to a salad bowl and squeeze lemon juice over. Add an extra dash of seasoning.
- Drop in olives, diced cheese, chopped basil and the roasted/grilled courgette
- Stir and serve! Oh, and don’t forget to serve with a healthy dollop of plain yoghurt.
This might seem lengthy but it’s really not. I would advise making a start on the salad whilst the rice is boiling and the peppers are roasting, that way you’re gaining and not losing time.
This is sure to impress anyone at the dinner table and keep ‘em coming back for more. Great for summer meals as it’s not too heavy and very flavourful and colourful.
Let us know how you got on with the recipe and if you have any suggestions/different variations which worked well. Until next time…
- Stuffed Peppers with Soy Recipe – SoyConnection.com (soyconnection.com)
- Healthy Bell Peppers Stuffed With Chiquita Banana Fruited Rice Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with a Yogurt-Tahini-Herb dressing (cook2jhoom.wordpress.com)